A Voice in the
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1Jn4:1)
In the "last days" in which we live we find a world that is Filled-to- Overflowing with MANY DIVERSE beliefs. However, they can be divided into two groups: Christian and non-Christian. Godly and worldly. Spiritual (of the Holy Spirit) and natural.
For the Christian there is ONLY ONE BELIEF. Jesus is our Redeemer and He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."(Jn14:6) You notice, He did not say, "I am one of MANY ways. I represent one 'idea' of truth for you to choose from...but in the end, all paths get there." Paul pleads with the Corinthians to "all speak the same thing...that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."(1Cor1:10) Because "there is one body and one [Holy] Spirit..one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."(Eph4:4-6)
The problem is that God's enemy, Satan, has devised many belief systems and is constantly attempting to infiltrate the Church (Believers). He does so by appearing as "an angel of light" and his servants seem to be "Christians" as they do a good imitation job.(2Cor11:13-15)
How do we go about knowing the False Prophets and False "christians?" The following six points were part of the March "Berean Call" article by Dave Hunt, which I'd like to pass on to you with some embellishments. If you are not a Christian and about now are getting disgusted with what's been written so far, please feel free to stop reading. This commentary is SPECIFICALLY TO "Christians" for their edification.
1) "If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or wonder, and the SIGN or WONDER COMES TO PASS...saying, 'LET US GO AFTER OTHER GODS'" (Deut13:1-4) If you remember, when Moses started performing signs before Pharaoh, the magicians also performed the same signs. Jesus warned about the times we live in, "for false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand."(Mt24:24-25)
What do we see today? Healing meetings. People are having dreams, near-death, and out-of-body experiences.
These same people are perverting Doctrine. They are replacing humility and repentance with "self-worth", love, and emotional highs. Rather than saying, "Thus says the Lord" they are saying, "I will teach you..follow me." Rather than relying solely on Scripture, they are teaching philosopy and psychology. The list goes on and on...
2) 100% ACCURACY IS REQUIRED of Godly prophecies. "When a prophet speaks..if the thing does not happen or come to pass.."(Deut18:22) The prophet is not to be feared.
Toronto Blessing boasts a 70% accuracy rating for their prophecies. That means, 30% IN-accuracy. They are "false prophets." Others will wax emotional, tilt their heads up, close their eyes and "see" things. "I am seeing 1996 ...or, 1997 ...or ???" Sorry! God does not wishy wash around. God's prophecies are for the "hour and day and month and year."(Rev9:15)
3) FALSE PROPHETS WILL CONTRADICT GOD'S WORD. "To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."(Is8:20)
"God accepts you just as you are. He sees that you are full of goodness and worth. You are worth so much to Him...if you would only learn to forgive yourself..." False doctrine of false prophets, when the Bible clearly teaches that "there is none righteous, no not one" that our "righteousness is as filthy rags" in His sight, that we must come for "His forgiveness of us."
If a false prophet teaches falsehood about one doctrine, you cannot trust ANYTHING he may teach. There "is no light in" him. He is of the "darkness." He is not In Christ.
4) FALSE PROPHETS BEAR BAD FRUIT. "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves...by their fruits you will know them."(Mt7:15-20)
Sometimes this takes "time" to find out. Just as a plant goes through a season of growth before the fruit appears, sometimes a false prophet is not immediately apparent. But eventually, just like the "changeling" which must rejuvenate in his liquid state, the true colors will be evident, because they are not able to keep up the pretenses indefinitely.
5) FALSE PROPHETS WILL HAVE MANY FOLLOWERS. "Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for so did their fathers to the false prophets."(Lk6:26) They will have the large fancy church buildings, and the prosperous, glamorous TV shows, well produced. They will be the evangelists with "millions" of converts.
400 "false" prophets prophesied to Ahab, "Go up, for the Lord will deliver it [your enemies] into the hand of the king."(1Kgs22:6) And Jehoshaphat (a Godly king from Judah) asked, "is there not still a prophet of the LORD here..?" Micaiah, of course, the "lone" prophet, had a totally different picture for Ahab of his demise.
Now Zedekiah was rather insistant to Micaiah. Hits him on the cheek and essentially says to him, 'what makes you think I don't have the spirit from the Lord!' Who do you think you are? I'm just as much a prophet as you are!
So, too, today, the false prophets who are not Christians will retort and bellow their spirituality if it is suggested that they might not be True Christians.
6) FALSE PROPHETS WILL DENY CHRIST. "Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is [the] Christ? ..every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God."(1Jn2:22,4:3)
This one will sometimes be difficult to ferret out, because the false prophet will be quick with the mouth, and will flit rapidly from Scripture to Scripture, and will talk "around" the subject. But when you get him "pinned down" to what he believes he will not believe: a) that Jesus is THE (one and only) Christ, b) That the physical, human "Jesus of Nazareth" was also Deity incarnate.
Variations offered might be that "we are ALL 'christ'." Jesus was one (of several) son of God..along with Lucifer. Jesus was a great prophet. Jesus "became" deity when He ascended to heaven, etc.
The false prophet will usually never manifest only one of these points. But will be cleverly disguised by manipulating some or all of them variously. And the "package" will appear to be wonderful, loving, caring and the participants will "feel" uplifted. But, if "he" fails in any of these points...he is a false prophet. Do not heed him! ..."do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds."(2Jn10-11)